Senior Frontend Developer
We are a fast-growing, multi award winning technology company in Shoreditch, London. At StoryShare we build platforms, software development kits and code libraries to enable the world’s biggest brands to create high quality digital experiences.
We create large-scale enterprise mobile and web apps with a consumer feel, to combat tricky business challenges including talent management, employee feedback, learning, and video communications. To keep things interesting, our work is extremely varied and combines building brand new applications with the maintenance of large existing services.
Our offices thrive with the intelligence and initiative of a hardworking and enthusiastic team, whose combined knowledge and ability has created some of the finest enterprise technology to date. We have created a space where people want to work and companies and clients want to spend time, and now we’re looking for a senior developer to become part of our freethinking and social team.
You are excited about technology, self motivated and passionate about learning. You take an interest in why we do things, and you’re able to focus on delivering value for your team. You are a talented developer who aspires to be an expert in their chosen field and you have a strong interest in growing your skills in all web development disciplines. You can make intelligent choices regarding what technologies to use and when to use them. You may have contributed to open-source projects or published your own NPM packages.
Your experience should be as part of a wider team of developers, performing peer reviews, and developing in a CI/CD environment. We would love if you have had some practice in coaching and mentoring more junior developers, which would include quality assurance of their work, and recommendations for improvements.
- To collaborate with the Head of Engineering and the Product team to make design and implementation decisions for our frontend projects.
- Design and manage the frontend development process in collaboration with the Head of Engineering to synchronise with the development efforts of other teams.
- To participate in sprint ceremonies such as standups, sprint planning and provide accurate estimations.
- To update the task planning system (Jira) with work progress.
- To assist other frontend developers with strategic implementation advice, mentoring and coaching as necessary.
- To write (and support the documentation team in writing) technical developer-facing documentation on new features and functionality.
- To be responsible for identifying breaking changes, and their mitigation through customer communications or migration processes.
- To support the testing team with any queries related to new functionality.
- Proactively recommend features and other modifications to the product team that will improve the customer experience.
- Identify opportunities to clean up existing code, or refactor for performance and supportability.
- Create a sense of pride, of ownership and belonging within the engineering team. Have fun.
- Lead by example and ensure others want to follow you.
Essential Technical Skills
- Web technologies including HTML5 and responsive CSS3
- Use of a CSS framework such as SemanticUI or Bootstrap, and ideally CSS preprocessors such as LESS and SASS.
- Experience writing unit tests (ideally using Jest/Enzyme).
- Web optimisation best practices such as JS/CSS minification/compression, image optimisation, lazy loading, chunk splitting etc.
- Selecting and integrating 3rd-party libraries.
- Using and debugging REST APIs, including concepts such as CORS and authentication techniques.
- Experience debugging the quirks of different browsers (older IE, Mobile Safari), and on mobile devices.
- Source control and team workflow using git and github.com, including PRs, and peer code reviews.
- Working collaboratively in an agile environment including providing accurate development time estimates.
Desirable Technical Skills
- Working knowledge of the OS command line and a relevant scripting language (Bash, Perl, Python), or NodeJS scripting.
- Experience with Cordova or React Native.
- Experience or knowledge of any non-React web framework.
To apply for this role please send your CV and a covering letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org